As we head towards the end of September, it’s time to shed some light on another of our wonderful volunteers.
This is how our ‘Gig Buddies volunteer vault’ series works: at the end of each month we invite a current volunteer to talk about their experiences with the project.
- How long have you been volunteering with Gig Buddies?
I've been with Gig Buddies for about four years.
- Is Gig Buddies your first volunteering role?
I've also been a volunteer Life Saver since 2006, starting at Whale Beach and working the last few years at Palm Beach.
- Why do you volunteer with Gig Buddies?
It’s a really nice way to volunteer as it’s not strict on times and is super flexible. I also get to do fun stuff that I enjoy with a new friend.
- How would you describe your volunteering experience with Gig Buddies?
My volunteer experience with Gig Buddies has been great, I've got a really nice friendship with my buddy Ben and also his housemate, Gerard, and his buddy, Michelle. It's nice to do activities and catch ups together. We go to sports games and comedy shows, which is always fun.
- Tell us about some of the highlights from your time volunteering with Gig Buddies
I always enjoy getting to know everyone from Gig Buddies and meeting other pairs and finding out what they do. Ben and I have also been to some pretty exciting Roosters games.
- What would you say to someone reading this who is thinking about volunteering with Gig Buddies?
It's a fantastic way to volunteer, you end up doing fun stuff and making new friends.
"It’s a really nice way to volunteer…”
We hope Ali’s words resonate both with our existing volunteers - and with those who are also thinking about signing up.
Our Gig Buddies volunteer vault runs on the last Monday of each month. We look forward to sharing another story in October.