In line with the Movember movement, we at Gig Buddies Sydney are looking at ways to attract more male volunteers.
People may be unaware, but we have a large imbalance of female to male volunteers (see image below).
Drawing inspiration from a number of our existing male volunteers, we asked a few questions - all with the intention of raising awareness of the role men play in helping tackle social isolation.
Why do you volunteer for Gig Buddies Sydney?
- "It's fun, rewarding and helps you build life long friendships"
- "It’s great to get out to events that I enjoy going to with a buddy who loves it just as much as I do….. I wouldn’t be me if i wasn’t able to get to sports and music events, and sharing these passions with someone makes it all the better..."
- "My children all grew up and moved away and I always anticipated volunteering for something when that time came. Gig Buddies marries two of my interests together, going out on the weekend and caring about those who are less fortunate than us."
- "I wanted to contribute to an organisation that wasn't asking me to donate money to a 'blind' cause..... I love the fact I can combine my passion of live events with volunteering.... I love the fact I'm empowered to volunteer when I want to and in settings I am comfortable with."
What would you say to other men who are thinking about volunteering?
- "I’d say give it a go, giving something back whilst doing something you enjoy is win win for all."
- "This is a great opportunity to combine social impact with entertainment. In my case, my gig buddy has taught me about so many cool places and activities that has allowed me to learn and expand my knowledge..... The Gig Buddies team is also incredibly supporting, will guide you along the way and provide you with incredible opportunities for amazing outings."
- "Most of my friends have young children. But having said that, I take my buddy to events that usually have my mates there too. No one has a problem with it….."
- "Absolutely go for it. I cherish my friendship with my buddy. I honestly think I get more out of Gig Buddies than he does. Hanging with him is a total blast, and I've never felt any pressure from him, his family or the Gig Buddies team to do anything beyond what I'm willing to commit to. The form my volunteering takes is completely left to me to negotiate with my buddy….. It's making me into a better person; I'm developing my consideration for others, becoming more responsible, and it's helping me to more easily communicate with people with an intellectual disability."
We cannot speak highly enough of the 31% of men who are already volunteering their time (see a snapshot above).
And we’re hoping that the answers and photos above may inspire some to sign up. Indeed, if you are reading this and you know of a male who would make an awesome volunteer, please inform them of our service. We’re calling on brothers, dads, uncles, sons, granddads, colleagues - we want to hear from them!
To sign up as a volunteer please click here
Alternatively, should you wish to know more about us, we can be reached via Facebook Messenger, by phone (02 9419 6951) or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Gig Buddies Sydney Community Engagement Coordinator
Would you like more information about Gig Buddies Sydney? You’re only a click away. Connect with us via the links below.
Fancy reveling in legendary status? If so, please support us in our cause to get more people out to live events in Sydney. Donations over $2 are tax deductible and all are gratefully received.
Gig Buddies Sydney is an initiative of ACL Disability Services